Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Top 10 Tuesday: Your pick!


 Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

 


Today we get to choose any of the Top 10 topics from the past that we hadn't taken part in, it was hard to choose but I decided to pick "Top 10 favourite quotes" because what is better than a quote to convince people to check out some of your favourite books?! Some of my most loved books lend themselves to fantastic quotes because of the beautiful or humorous ways they are written. So here are just a few that I could not resist sharing with you all, in no particular order.



1. Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh
"Choose a life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers... Choose DSY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit crushing game shows, stucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away in the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself, choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that?"


2. J.R.R Tolkien - Fellowship of the Ring
"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."




3. Jack Kerouac - On The Road
"the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww!' What did they call such young people in Goethe's Germany?" 

4. Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird
"Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing." 

5. Markus Zusak - The Book Thief
 "He was the crazy one who had painted himself black and defeated the world.
She was the book thief without the words" 

6. William Shakespeare - Romeo and Juliet
"These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triumph die, like fire and powder
Which, as they kiss, consume" 

7. Douglas Adams - The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened." 

8. J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
"Percy wouldn't notice a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing one of Dobby's hats." 

9. J.K Rowling - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" 

10. Hunter S. Thompson - Generation of Swine
"There are times, however, and this is one of them, when even being right feels wrong. What do you say, for instance, about a generation that has been taught that rain is poison and sex is death? If making love might be fatal and if a cool spring breeze on any summer afternoon can turn a crystal blue lake into a puddle of black poison right in front of your eyes, there is not much left except TV and relentless masturbation. It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat shit and die."

13 comments:

  1. I basically LOVED every single one of your quotes. Especially Hunter S Thompson. What a strange, brilliant man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love #9, i have always loved that quote. So many good books, so many good lines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good one :)
    I chose the Top Ten Anticipated Books and a couple I had read and others were on my TBR Pile :) It was hard to pick. New Follower
    www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. @confessions, in my opinion that is the best quote of the entire HP series, and it is definitely up there with my all favourites. Although I may just be biased towards Dumbledore!
    @phantom, hello!! I really like this week's option to choose your own, it's so interesting jumping from blog to blog! Well done only selecting 10 anticipated books, i'm not sure I could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and Bekka, HST is my absolute favourite author, and has the best quotes/sound bites in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your quotes. I picked quotes to do as well and have a J.K. Rowling one on my list. She has so many great lines in her books, it is hard to pick one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love collecting quotes - I'll have to work on a list like this for the next catch-up top-ten meme.

    Have you read 'Perfume'? that has a great opening quote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent choices! I love the Harry Potter/Dumbledore quote. It gives me hope while I'm living in my own fantasy world where I have twenty different fictional boyfriends.

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you meant JRR Tolkien for The Fellowship of the Ring one. :)

    I love quotes in the Harry Potter series, especially by Albus Dumbledore. I have a list of 19 quotes that I made a banner into.

    My favorite is my blog motto: "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great picks! lol #8.

    Come by and see mine and my giveaways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, especially the last quote by Hunter S. Thompson is great. A list of quotations is so deeply personal in a lot of ways, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Jenni, whoops!! I obviously had HP on the brain when I was typing that one in!
    @Robyn, it really is. I didn't realise that until I starting to cull my list down to 10
    @Tribute mama, I couldn't resist putting a bit of Weasley twin humour in, although I'm sure there are quotes better than than!
    @Amber, I know what you mean about the 20 fictional boyfriends, it's insane how connected you can feel to a fictional character...but now we've got Dumbledore's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  13. New follower!

    I love that you chose the "choose life" speech. Trainspotting is both one of my favorite books and one of my favorite films and that's always been one of my favorite parts.

    I actually chose Francis Begbie as one of my favorite villains for this week's Top Ten Tuesday. He's just such a delightful rageaholic. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...