Saturday, May 14, 2011

Book to movie challenge choices



 So I'd actually published this post on Thursday but when Blogger had it's little meltdown it decided to delete the final version and leave me with the first draft, which is only a little* annoying... But it's cool, now I get to unveil by book to movie challenge titles again!

I wanted to try and read and watch as many new titles as possible, so I decided on no rereads because there were far too many new books on my list to choose from. If I hadn't seen the film as well then it rocketed up the possible choices list, but if I was desperate to read the book ultimately I didn't care if I'd seen the film already.

 So without further ado...


1. True Grit by Charles Portis
*Published in 1968
*Film by the same title first released in 1969, starring John Wayne
*Remade in 2010 starring Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and Josh Brolin

I'm considering watching both adaptations because, well because I'd like to, but if I don't get the time I'll be choosing the latest adaptation for the challenge, mainly because I don't think you can go wrong with a combination of the Coen Brothers and Jeff Bridges!

2. Never Let me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
*Published in 2005
*Film by the same title released in 2010 starring Andrew Garfield, Keira Knightley and Carey Mulligan

This has been on my TBR and TBW(atched) lists for quite awhile, so I'm glad I've got an excuse to get into them sooner rather than later. Unfortunately I know the twist of this book/film already and I'm hoping that doesn't sour the narrative for me at all.

3. Cloudstreet by Tim Winton
*Published in 1991
*TV series by the same title released in 2011 starring Stephen Curry, Essie Davis and Emma Booth

I know it is meant to be a movie challenge, but it's only a 6 episode mini-series so I think it still works.  I'm dying to see this series which starts in the last week of May. It's a family saga by a man who is basically a god in Australian Literary circles. This book was basically Winton's career defining novel so this will be a good incentive to check it out.

4. Stardust by Neil Gaiman
*Published in 1998
*Film by the same title released in 2007, starring Michelle Phieffer, Clare Danes and Robert De Niro

Normally I don't like to see a film before I read the book that inspired it but I saw this film when it first came out and before I even knew Gaiman existed. So now I want to complete what I started and read the book and then re-watch the film and see what I think. it has been so long since I've seen the film that It'll almost be as though I'm seeing it for the first time anyway!

5. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick
*Published in 1968
*Blade Runner released in 1982, starring Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer

I'm almost spoilt for choice when it comes to a Philip K. Dick book and film combo but I decided to pick a book of his I haven't yet read (although I have seen the film) rather than reread one of his many fantastic sci-fi novels that have been turned into amazing films.

6. I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
*Published in 1950
*Film by the same name released in 2004, starring Will Smith

 This was a suggestion by my boyfriend who is always amazed at how often I haven't read the seminal texts of the genres I love. I saw the film when it first came out and didn't mind it but I'm really interested in seeing how Asimov traditionally brought the story to life.


7. The Great Gatsby (graphic novel) by F.Scott Fitzgerald, adapted for graphic novel by Nikki Greenberg
*Originally published in 1925, graphic novel published in 2007
*Film of the same title released in 1974, starring Mia Farrow, Robert Redford and Sam Waterston

This was the novel that introduces me to the genius that is Fitzgerald and it holds a dear place in my heart. However I reread this book far too often for it really to be fair for it to crop up here so instead I'm going to read the graphic novel version since it's sitting in my bookcase feeling a little left out. I figured this'd change things up a bit aswell, since the book and film will obviously be quite different considering the characters in the graphic novel are sea creatures!


8. American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
*Published in 1991
*Film by the same title released in 2000, starring Christian Bale, Reese Witherspoon and Chloe Sevigny

I'm a big fan of Ellis, and I was fortunate enough to meet him last year during his brief stint in Australia (see how he signed by wacky boyfriend's book here) but I have actually never read this particular book of his. I certainly want to, and I definitely always intended to but somehow I ended up reading every other book of his instead of this one. I'm looking forward to meeting the maniacal Patrick Bateman in text and reacquainting myself with his onscreen persona.


So there you have it. I'm feeling pretty good with this list so I don't foresee any changes unless the film adaptation of Hunter S. Thompson's The Rum Diary finally finds distribution. If you're interested in taking part head over to Two Bibliomaniacs and sign up, and then come back and tell me so I can see what books/films you pick!


* Who am I kidding, it was an incredible annoyance!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...