Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 29 - Your favourite series of books


Honestly I think I would have to answer Harry Potter here if all I was doing was writing a one sentence answer to these topics. However since I've been trying to explain my favourite books and how they fit within my life and have a self-imposed rule not to reuse books where possible I will not answer this topic with Harry Potter. Instead I will talk about a series I find simply marvellous, to say the least.

by Douglas Adams

This series  pretty much encapsulates that British eccentricity I mentioned in an earlier post, this and Monty Python. It isn't everyone's cup of tea (or so I've found out, I don't really understand how it couldn't be) but generally if you like Monty Python you'll like Hitchhiker's Guide and vice versa. It is an amazing series with just the right mix of absurdity, satire, science-fiction and just a smidgen of silliness. 

Ever since I read these books I've desired two things, one is the HHGTTG, because who doesn't want a talking guide book that tells you all sorts of useful things like 'don't panic'? The second thing? The Babel fish. I always wished I could speak other languages, and while I know a teeny bit of Japanese and am beginning to learn French, I don't seem to really have the capacity for absorbing languages like some people do. The babel fish would help immensely, image just being able to understand and communicate with everyone, alien or human. It'd make travelling such a breeze!

I'm planning on writing a review on the series soon, so I don't want to talk about it too much because that'd leave me with very little to do or say, but I highly recommend that all of you who have not had the pleasure of meeting Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Marvin and Trillian  acquaint yourselves immediately!


P.S. Has anyone read the recent addition to the series by Eoin Culfer And Another Thing? I'd hate to read it and find it tarnishes my memory of the series, but I know he wrote it with Adam's wife or son (my details are a little shady) so if it by any chance it adds to the series I'd love to give it a read. Any opinions? 


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...