Tuesday, August 2, 2011

July Wrap-up

Seriously? July is over? Kaput? We're honestly in August, the eighth month, and this isn't some cruel practical joke to make me think that time is slipping away like water?

Not a joke? Ok, guess I'll wrap-up the "month" that just whizzed by.

Hosted by Two Bibliomaniacs
Aim:
books and 8 films.

Progress:
3 books and 2 films so far. Slow and steady wins the race!

News/Notes:
I'll be changing my selected books/films slightly. In place of Tim Winton's Cloudstreet I'll be reading LA Confidential by James Ellroy and watching the 1997 film of the same name.

Books Read:
True Grit by Charles Portis - A really great read. Quick, adventurous and a lot of fun.
Read my review here.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick - Another quick read. But equally as good. An interesting and introspective sci-fi that spawned a damn good film!
Read my review here.

Films watched:
True Grit, starring Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Josh Brolin, Hailee Steinfeld - A sensational film from the always wonderful Coen brothers. Very close to the book, except for a few understandable changes. Hailee was mind-blowing, I'll be keeping an eye out for her in films from now on!
Read my review here.

Next to read:
The Great Gatsby -Graphic novel adaptation by Nicki Greenberg

Next to watch:
Blade Runner (1982) starring Harrison Ford, Sean Young and Rutger Hauer

Hosted by GabrielReads

Aim: Avid Reader (2 books per month)- changed from the original aim of casual reader (1 book per month)

Progress: Another two books added to the tally!

Books read:
Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King - An interesting story that focuses greatly on and experiments with characterisation and voice.
Read my review here.

Confessions of an English Opium Eater by Thomas De Quincey - A bit of a disappointment. It could have been incredible but it was let down by an overly verbose and distracted author.
Read my review here.

Next to read: TBA

Aim: 75

Progress: 47 read so far. According to GoodReads I'm currently four books ahead.

Books read:
A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin - A splendid second book!
Read review here.(Warning! Spoilers!)

A Storm of Swords 1: Steel and Snow by George R.R Martin - The man's talent knows no bounds, yet another huge but hugely amazing addition to a series quickly winning my heart.
Read review here. (Warning! Spoilers!)

Anything New:
In August I'm taking part in a month long reading challenge to raise money for MS Australia. They work tirelessly funding research into multiple sclerosis and trying to make MS sufferers lives a little easier, so I'm aiming to make as much money as I can to help them with their cause. So if you have some spare change jangling in your wallet or bank account maybe think about sending it to a deserving charity. You can check out my progress and/or make a donation here.


3 comments:

  1. You're right, July sure did go by fast but at least you had a productive reading month. You have reminded me that I am desperately behind on the "books to reading challenge."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a really good month by the looks of it. Can't believe how many challenges you are taking part in. Bet it's making for some interesting reads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been a really good month, but I think I might be taking on a few too many challenges at the moment. With my uni work it's getting hard to read book>film choices and books I should have read and new releases I've been adding to my collection. It's a bit of a juggle, but we'll see how I go!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...