Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January Wrap-up

Can you believe we're already one month down in 2012? It's raced by so quickly, probably because of the 1000 things I had to get done this month. While I made the most of my remaining holiday by reading everything possible and watching all the films and TV series I'd been meaning too, I also worked, celebrated Tom's birthday, helped my sister find a new house, let her stay with me for a few weeks, organised this year's uni schedule, started up a new exercise regime and tried to introduce more healthy food into our house. Pheww! 2012 has started off fantastically, and I can't wait to see where the rest of the year takes me!

Hosted by Booking in Heels 
Aim:
10 books and 1 film.
Progress:
Completed the graphic novel so far, the other books are waiting eagerly in my bookshelf to be read.

Books Read:
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (graphic novel) by Alan Moore - These two volumes were a little hit and miss for me, but the inclusion of well-known literary characters was a definite highlight for me.
Read review here.

Next to read: Dracula by Bram Stoker.

Aim:
One sci-fi book a month.

Progress:
One book down, this month I joined in the group reading choice, but I'm not sure if I'll be staying on this path each month.

Books read:
Zoo City by Lauren Beukes - A great start to the challenge. Sci-fi light, but interesting and chock-full of concepts and ideas that had me very intrigued.
Read my review here

Next to read: TBA. Something by Philip K. Dick I think.

                                                         
Aim: 50

Progress: 12 read so far.

Books read:
Stardust by Neil Gaiman - A new favourite. This book rekindled all the love I had in my childhood for magical stories of unicorns, elves, league boots and adventures.
Read review here.

All Her Father's Guns by James Warner - One of the first review books I read for the year. Biting satire that leaves no one untouched.
Read review here.

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin - Just as great as the film. Subtly creepy, and an interesting look at life in the 1960s.
Read review here.

Anything New:
*I took part in a readathon the other weekend. It was a mini 12 hour task that I thoroughly enjoyed taking part in. You can read up on my progress in my progress reports for part one, two, three and four (which includes the challenges). Thanks to Sarah, of Sarah Says Read for hosting!

*I was accepted into the Phd project at my uni, so it looks like I'll be a student once again! I can't wait to begin, but I hope it doesn't mean I have to slow down my blogging too much!

4 comments:

  1. Ah, monthly wrap ups- Such fun! I have read literally one challenge book so far, and I haven't read any books that I actually own (the main point of my challenge choices this year). Shit shit shit. You are doing very well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks Laura. I've decided I can't buy anymore books until the ones I've got crowding my shelves are read. Unless there is another super cheap book sale where the titles are all $2 - then I can splurge again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a good month too. Dracula is my next book for the LOEG challenge. I love that book and can't wait to get into it again.

    I'm going to do the book of the month for the sci fi challenge this time but like you I will be picking some of my own next time. You read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep before Christmas didn't you? Looking forward to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I read it about half way through the year, but I have a couple of PKD books in my bookcase that I can't believe that I haven't read yet. It's really good though, I'm sure you'll love it!

    It'll be my first time reading Dracula, I have high expectations so hopefully it lives up to!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...