Friday, August 1, 2014

What Kayleigh Did: July

GUYS 2015 IS ONLY 5 MONTHS AWAY. That is terrifying. I can't handle how fast this year has gone.

ME TOO SNAPE. ME TOO.

BOOKS:

What I Read:

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan -review to come
Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan -review to come
Percy Jackson and the Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan -review to come
Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan -review to come
Landline by Rainbow Rowell -my review
How To Be A Woman by Caitlin Moran -my review
Nowhere Men by Eric Stephenson - my review

Book Stats:

50% male / 50% female
75% American / 25% International
70% ebook / 15% audiobook / 15% physical
85% fiction / 15% non-fiction
15% graphic novels / 85% novels

Wow, it's lucky I got hooked onto the Percy Jackson series or I'd have had a pretty miserable month reading wise! A really solid month of books, especially Landline, god I love that book. That book is everything. I've also been busy with the How To Build A Girl readalong which has been a BLAST so far, both in terms of the book and the company. You guys are fabulous (not that you really need me to tell you so).


 Although I've got to say I'm feeling pretty chuffed at the lack of graphic novels on my list. Not that there is anything wrong with them (obvs, since I read so damn many) but it's nice to have a list that isn't made up of 45 minute reads. I am starting the new 52 run of Aquaman though, so expect a whole lot more in my August wrap up post, haha!

I've also just started to listen to Fool by Christopher Moore on audio. The reader is brilliant, I'm sure I'd have loved to read the book properly but Euan Morton is properly excellent. If you've been thinking of picking it up, I'd definitely recommend the audiobook. I'm also slowly making my way through Cheryl Stayed's Wild. It was a quick read to begin with but my interest has dried up a bit. After the readalong ends I'll try to pick up where I left off.

MOVIES/TELEVISION:

Another dry month for visual entertainment. I saw plenty but meh, they weren't anything to write home about.  I was convinced to see the new Hercules and Transformers films by my friends and OMG SO BORED. I was expecting big dumb spectacles from both, at least I should be able to giggle at the stupidity, but they both nearly put me to sleep. They were completely sterile of adventure, fun and wit. Just 0 out of 0 stars.


I saw the Eric Bana horror/drama Deliver Us From Evil. It was a pretty standard exorcism film really, maybe it would have been better at home with a group of friends but it was just sort of...still. And finally, I saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes which was actually amazing. Like, potentially in my top movies of the year, awesome. The human side of the story was fairly rote, but the story with the apes plus all of the visual effects. Damn son, that was some genuinely decent film-making.

I've mostly been comfort watching. Lots of 30 Rock, It's Always Sunny and Parks and Recreation. Although I did start watching The Witches of East End, Netflix wore me down after recommending it for about 20 weeks straight. It is hilariously camp and stars Julia Ormond so obviously everyone should also watch it.

\Anyway, every second I sit here typing is a second I can't sneak ahead and read ahead in the readalong sections. So I am OUT, yo.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...