Tuesday, November 4, 2014

October in Review: Comics, Comics, Comics

Reading meet wall

BOOKS:

What I Read:

*Hellblazer: Original Sin (volume 1) by Jamie Delano, David Lloyd, John Ridgeway
*Hellblazer: The Devil You Know (volume 2) by Jamie Delano, David Lloyd
*Rat Queens: Sass and Sorcery (volume 1) by Kurtis J. Wiebe, Roc Upchurch
*Kill Shakespeare: The Mask of Night (volume 4) by Anthony Del Col, Conor McCreery, Andy Belanger
*Captan America: Winter Soldier (volume 2) by Ed Brubaker, Steve Epting, Mike Perkins


Book Stats:

100% male / 0% female (ooof magoof)
100% American / 0% International (although technically I think Conor McCreery is Canadian, but that's just splitting hairs at this stage)
100% ebook / 0% audiobook / 0% physical
100% fiction / 0% non-fiction
100% graphic novels / 0% novels

I'm at the pointy end of my PhD, so that means my reading time is effectively zero. When I do have a few spare minutes to sit down with a book I've been turning to comics (and TV) because, well, they're easier. I just haven't been able to motivate myself past reading a few pages at a time in the actual books I'm reading, but hopefully I'll get past this exhaustion and pick up my pace soon. I started The Girl With All the Gifts last month and while I raced through the first 50 pages or so I've found it hard to get back into it. It's fine, but I'm barely in and I just don't really see where it's going. Not in the ooooh-what's-around-the-corner kind of not knowing but the haven't-we-already-peaked-what-else-can-happen kind of not knowing. It's funny, I love zombie movies but I tend to find zombie books a bore. I was hoping this would change my mind, but I really don't know if it will. I'm hoping if I just push through the next few chapters it'll start to gel. Fingers crossed. I'm also slowly getting through a book of Robert Heinlein's science fiction short stories. It's really high concept and I'm enjoying it, but I don't really know if I'm getting it, y'know?


On a far more positive front, I started Chris Hadfield's An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth on audiobook and I looooove it. I really enjoyed watching his youtube videos last year when he was in space (last year? the year before? time man, it passes us by in such a blur) and Sarah's review convinced me it needed to be my next Audible purchase. He's just such a nice guy, like, really, really nice. He's so positive just listening to him talk about life and career and family kind of makes me feel invincible. I'm going to apologise in advance because I think my review is going to be a little over the top gushy. I also bought a copy of Amy Poehler's book on Audible. I hit a few walls with audiobooks before picking up Hadfield's novel and I think, at least for the time being, I'm going to leave it for my memoir//comedy books. Listening to Tina Fey and Chris Hadfield have definitely been audiobook highs, because they're telling their own stories and adding their own personality to the words. Maybe once I get more comfortable with the medium I'll step back into the fiction shelves, but for now I'm enjoying this plan of attack. I wonder if Lena Dunham will read her book?


In other bookish news, I got my first Ninja Bookswap gift! The wonderful Lauren sent me my "trick" package. I said I wanted to read more YA so along with  Helen Oyeyemi's Mr Fox from my wishlist, she bought me John Green's Looking for Alaska. I was a little underwhelmed with The Fault in Our Stars when I read it last year, but I wanted to try out another John Green book before I totally wrote him off. I started the book today and so far I have to say I'm enjoying it a lot more than TFioS, but that might have a lot to do with the absence of cancer-stricken teenagers. I also got a duo of adorable floral pens and a Maze Runner postcard. I have one more package heading my way, and I can't wait to see what's in store for me. Yay or bookish gifts from bookish folk!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...